Resist is Hiring a Co-Director: Resource Redistribution!
Resist is a foundation that supports people’s movements for justice and liberation. We redistribute resources back to frontline communities at the forefront of change while amplifying their stories of building a better world.
We are in our 51st year and aspire to be on the leading edge of philanthropy, led by and accountable to people and communities most impacted by oppression. We operate with three strategic priorities:
- Redistributing Resource: We directly resource frontline communities that are resisting oppressive systems, re-imagining new paths to liberation, and/or creating resilient and vibrant communities.
- Amplifying Stories: We make the movement irresistible by amplifying the abundant stories and emergent strategies of resistance so they spread like wildflowers, uncontained.
- Cultivating Networks: We support the connection between frontline communities at the forefront of change to build power, foster interconnectedness and help to bring efforts in concert.
Position Role and Description
Resist operates as a Worker Self-Directed Non Profit (WSDN), which combines the best of traditional non-profit structures with the best of a cooperative structure. We are seeking a candidate to serve as one of the co-directors and as a part of our WSDN team that governs, manages, and carries out the work of the organization. This position will primarily focus on Resource Redistribution. Our staffing approach blends traditional position lines, and as a result, we have the flexibility to find the best candidate for our team.
Resource Redistribution Responsibilities:
- Give vision and direction to Resist’s resource redistribution program
- Manage our resource redistribution circle (weekly meetings, budget, program evaluation, other circle members, and iteration)
- Manage and execute four funding cycles a year
- Facilitate our grant-making panel’s participatory funding, hold space for continued reflection and inspired iteration
- Grantee engagement: Answer all grantee questions, conduct relationship building calls, support grantees’ engagement with Resist’s grantee support offerings
- Write and edit grantee-related communications with the Communications circle and support collaborative, original content creation
- Manage and troubleshoot our grant-making software (with the support of a technical team)
- Support the continued shift towards radical resource redistribution at Resist and in the field of philanthropy, may involve travel
- Member of staff circles with rotating leadership responsibilities
- Member of at least one other circle: Communications, Finance and Operations, and/or Development.
- Facilitate staff meetings monthly and staff retreats quarterly.
- Participate and lead in mutual support and accountability processes at Resist.
- Participate and support in Resist organizational development work.
- Represent Resist in networks and collaborative projects
Resist is committed to finding someone with the right mix of political commitment, experiences (both traditional and nontraditional), and the potential to grow with us. We strongly encourage people from the communities we work with to apply, especially: Resist grantees, people of color; people with disabilities; lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, and Two-Spirit people; immigrants; women and feminine-identified people; and genderqueer, trans, and gender non-conforming people.
In addition, we are looking for someone who has:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including copy editing
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, always seeking to understand the edge of emerging movements
- Ability and interest in working collaboratively as part of a non-hierarchical collective
- Strong commitment to and participation in social movements for justice and liberation
- Strong commitment to continual self-development and personal and collective healing
- Excited about regularly giving and receiving feedback
- Project management experience
- Experience working under deadlines and proactively communicating with others when any barriers to meeting those deadlines arise
- Experience working with grassroots organizations and communities of color
$65,000 – $65,000
The salary for this position is $65,000 for those seeking to work full-time at 40 hours per week. Resist is open to candidates who are interested in working 30-35 hours per week, salary at the same rate adjusted by hours.
Resist offers generous benefits including:
- 100% of health and dental coverage, whether individual or family
- A health reimbursement account to cover out of pocket medical expenses
- 403(b) retirement account matching up to 4% of employee contributions
- 14 paid holidays each year
- 15 days vacation in your first year, 20 days after two years.
- 16 days of personal leave to be taken for illness, medical/dental appointments or personal reasons
- 5 days to take care of a dependent
- Additional paid time off for parental or bereavement leave
- Staff members may use paid time to attend local political demonstrations with sensitivity to the needs of the organization
- Immediate bond for any staff member arrested on a misdemeanor charge for participating in a political activity which may include nonviolent civil disobedience
- Resist is a semi-remote office. Staff Collective members work remotely 2-3 days a week.
We will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The start date for this position is flexible ranging from May 1st to September 1st.